Sunday, May 14, 2017

Human Nudt15 (MTH2) Protein Model

My sister-in-law discovered the structure of this protein during her research. I printed it out for her.

We were able to work together to follow this walk-through on converting the protein model into something I could print.

The protein is actually two halves that work together. I first printed a prototype of the whole thing in one piece:



Then I printed the two halves separately to see how well they fit together outside of a virtual model:



At that point, I knew they would fit together, and I knew roughly how big I needed to print them to get all the detail in with my printer's resolution.

However, I wanted to go fancy: I wanted the two pieces to magnetically snap together.

I modified the 3D file to have a gap for a magnet, then inserted the magnet at the last layer with the gap open, while the printer was still in operation:





The magnet was solidly in place in the final product. You can see another magnet hanging from the finished part here:


I then did the same procedure with the mating half:




Et Voila, they mated nicely!


But I wanted to go fancier still. I printed these in ABS so I could use Acetone Vapor Smoothing to really give these models a glossy sheen.

I bought an old slow cooker at my local Goodwill, and subjected both models to hot acetone vapor for about 10 minutes.


They came out looking pretty slick!



No comments:

Post a Comment