Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Belt Failure

My first print with the new heated build chamber failed about halfway through with the X-tower belt broke in the middle of the night. The printer continued to run through the rest of the file, regardless, resulting in the spaghetti mess of filament in the top right area of the build plate:


Encouragingly, there was no warping on this part - the heated chamber did it's job. Unfortunately, the belt broke in a location that was impossible to splice. I had to order more belt from Amazon.


When I replaced the belt, I looked for the problem. It turned out I had assembled the toothed gear improperly on the X-tower stepper motor. The toothed pulley is supposed to be flush with the end of the shaft:


The misalignment made the edge of the toothed pulley bite into the belt with every movement. There was a nice pile of rubber powder below the pulley.

The other two stepper motors were correctly assembled. I made the adjustment, threaded on the new belt, and it's been running fine for nearly a month afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment