Sunday, August 21, 2016

LED Accent Lamp


I have had this project in the back of my mind for a couple months, ever since seeing something similar pop up for $200. I picked up the electronics from China a while ago, but my ideas for the lamp body kept getting more and more complex. I finally decided to just knock this out over the weekend as a proof-of-concept.

I picked up a seven-foot length of trim with the cross-section I needed, and painted it white:


I then added three five-foot strips of RGB+WW (Red Green Blue + Warm White) LED strips and wired each strip to its own controller:



I shoved all the electronics in a section of vinyl drain pipe:


And then put the lamp in the corner.


Total cost was around $60.

There are a couple things I would do differently for a second version: the adhesive on the LED strips is pretty bad. I tacked the top and bottom of each strip in place with superglue, which is probably the only reason the LED strips have not fallen down already. Also, if I did this again, I would buy proper connectors for the LED strips rather than relying on my suspect soldering skills. Finally, using three controllers rather than one added $25 to the bill of materials, without adding a whole lot of functionality.

One interesting point: by setting one strip each to Red, Blue and Green, the light looks white, except at the edges.

But overall, I am very pleased without this project turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment