Sunday, April 2, 2017

All-Metal Hotend (with Accelerometer!) and Berd-Air Layer Cooling

I upgraded my printer with an all-metal hotend and a new cooling system!


The new Hotend is the HE280, from the people that designed my printer. It wasn't immediately obvious to me what the new max temp was (my old hot end maxed out at 235, and some all metal hotends go up to 300). It turns out the recommended max temp is right there in the name: Hot End 280 - 280°C is the max temp. This will allow me to print in PETG and High Impact PolyStyrene (HIPS) and even nylons!

Probably the most important part of this upgrade is the accelerometer that's built into the new hot end. This accelerometer allows super easy calibration of the Z-height (and easier bed leveling). The accelerometer can detect when the nozzle "taps" against the glass bed:


I have never had the bed level calibrated this well before:

Source file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:50505

The new cooling system is much more compact than the old fan system. It's the Berd Air from The Maker Hive. It uses a vacuum pump running in reverse to pipe cool air down to the nozzle. Ideally, all the cool air hits the deposited plastic, and none of it hits the hot nozzle. Here's a picture of the air pump, nestled nicely in rat's nest of wires:


I also added some bungie cords to keep the wire harnesses from interferring with the endstops:


No comments:

Post a Comment