Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Chessbot Hero

I've been wanting to do this one for literally three years. Finally pulled it off:




I scaled up the original file by a factor of 1.5. Since that's a linear scale, the actual volume increased by a factor of 3.375.

Unfortunately, the pawns don't snap together like they should - they just fall apart. Other people have had this problem too, and there's a modified pawn file that I'm going to print next to see if it fixes the issue.

UPDATE: the modified pawns fit together a bit better, but not enough to actually stick. I'll have to try them again at normal scale and see if that changes anything.

UPDATE 2: I tried a normal-scale print of two pawns. The print failed when I ran out of filament, but enough of it completed to prove the pawns latch much better at the original scale:



Original file here.

Nozzle: 230C
Bed: 100C
Chamber: 50C
Layer height: 0.2mm
Speed: 40mm/s
Time: 13 hours
Material: Hatchbox ABS

2 comments:

  1. Simeon might be interested in a pair of these :)

    ReplyDelete