Friday, May 20, 2016

Ventilation

ABS is not very pleasant smelling when you heat it up and print with it. It's also not particularly healthy to stay in a non-ventilated room with an ABS printer for long periods of time (although apparently it's not any worse than staying in a room with a burning candle). Here's an interesting summary of the latest science.

I've been leaving the window open while the printer is running, but that's not a great long-term solution. My long-term solution (what I intended since I got the printer) is to use our radon mitigation system (basically a powerful fan vacuuming air from our sump system and exhausting it outside) for active ventilation. Conveniently, the radon mitigation assembly is in my shop, a few feet from the Rostock:




This afternoon I removed the plexiglass, and installed a cleanout with a screw-in cap:


Now, while I'm printing, I'll leave the cap unscrewed, and plug it back up when the printer is not running. No more worries about leaving a ground-access window open overnight, and now the ventilation is active instead of passive. The manometer on the radon mitigation system didn't even noticeably change when the cap is open compared to when it's closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment