Saturday, May 28, 2016

Filament Transition (and a Doohickey)

I just finished two kilograms of black ABS filament. I wanted to move on to white ABS filament.

I originally tried to hand feed the next spool into the extruder as the old spool disappeared. That didn't work, unfortunately. I wound up having to disassemble the bowden tube, snip off a couple inches of black filament, and reassemble the bowden tube with white filament well past the extruder gear:


Based on forum posts, I was expecting it to take a while for the black to flush out completely, but it seems like a pretty clean transition:




It's a fun little doohickey. My toddler likes it as well.

It was a pain to slice, though. I spent at least a half-hour trying different scales to get it to a point where it would print as six shells, rather than being split into twelve. I eventually got it at 1.6x scale.


Original file here.

Nozzle: 230C
Bed: 100C
Chamber: 50C
Layer height: 0.2mm
Speed: 40mm/s
Time: 6 hours
Material: Hatchbox ABS (mostly)

No comments:

Post a Comment